I paint Modernist landscapes, mostly from my imagination and dreams, sometimes only loosely based on reality.
My interest is in how feeling and dialogue can be conveyed simply with colour and line.
The form is only a vehicle for this, and also the resulting effect on people's mental and emotional health. I believe art has a very important role to play in the community for this reason.
Recently I have been playing with the arrangement of flat colour planes to describe a scene, rather than a purely figurative depiction of the subject.
The first step is to prime the canvas with acrylic in a single colour carefully chosen to evoke the mood I'm after eg orange, aqua, purple, or pink.....all will create a different effect when the top colours react with them.
Next oil paint is applied with a palette knife, letting the base colour work by showing through, and keeping the tone alive.
Often the subject itself is left raw, and formed only by painting in the negative space around it. It's a personal challenge not to pre-draw these forms but let them grow organically.
I used to work very impasto, but now like to let the canvas texture and background colour be an integral part of the painting.
I started painting in 1993, and during this Stage 1 of my career exhibited from the Sunshine Coast, Qld to northern NSW. I have paintings in private collections in France, England, USA and Greece, as well as Australia and New Zealand. Highlights at this time were my first solo exhibition at Cronulla Gallery, Mt Tamborine, Qld, and winning the Courier Mail Landscape prize in 2000, where one of the 3 judges was esteemed gallery owner Philip Bacon. I sold on consignment through the Rainbird Art Gallery, Montville in the early 2000's.
Life got in the way of my art in 2005, as it can, but I was inescapably drawn back in 2014 and my first new piece was accepted as a Finalist in the Lethbridge 10000 ("Glade"), and then sold! This encouraged me to pursue my craft seriously and Stage 2 began.
* I was a Finalist again in the Lethbridge 10000 with "Sorrow will take Wings in the Morning".
* In September I had a successful second solo exhibition, "Songs of Light and Colour" at Percolator Gallery, Paddington, Qld, selling seven paintings. My thanks to everyone that supported my work, and the 300+ people who stopped by for some interesting chats.
* I had two paintings accepted for the Lethbridge 10000, "The Joker" and "Tattooed Earth Cries River Tears".
* Finalist in the Moreton Bay Art Award, "Winter's Discontent turned Glorious Summer".
* My proposal was accepted for the six month 'Outside In' exhibition at St Vincent's Private Hospital from January to June, where I had the further honour of being the artist selected for the sensitive area of Palliative Care. It was truly rewarding to know my work was able to give relief to those suffering; patients, family, and staff. Permission was granted for limited edition prints to be made from two of my artworks for their lending library for immobile patients.
* I am in print! thanks to ART/EDIT magazine's Summer edition (Issue 12). January - March. Please check it out for the wonderful comments from Brendan Wong, Brett Mickan, and Jane Stark.
* 'Outside In' Exhibition at St Vincent's from January to June, this time in the very busy Chronic Pain & Rehabilitation Ward. Hopefully my work was a distraction for those with extensive recovery periods.
* Accepted for the Moreton Bay Regional Council's professional development course Cultivate the Arts - Intensive in February, run by Edgeware consultants, and part of a documentary with the other talented members of our group.
* A speaker at the Creative Voices Forum at North Lakes in June, about my course experience.
* Rotary Art Spectacular, three entries were accepted as Finalists: "Hope Springs Eternal" hung at Central Plaza 1, Brisbane City in May, and "Dark Journey" and "Stepping Stones" were featured online.
* Lethbridge 10000 again accepted two paintings as Finalists, "Riding on a Hurricane" and "Bitter (sweet) Beach".
* I was in several group exhibitions that year: "Foot Square", "Black and White", and "Landscapes" all three at Aspire gallery, Paddington, Qld, also "Senses and Consequences" at Jugglers Art Space in the City, and the Matthew Flinders Art Award at Bribie Island Art Gallery.
* again featured in Art/Edit magazine, Issue 14 in August - October.
* My third solo exhibition 'Fire and Ice' was very successful also at Percolator gallery, Paddington, Qld from 26 September to 8 October. The main theme this time was my impressions of the Highlands of Iceland, which I visited in June 2016 (for the Midnight Sun) and again in March 2017 (for the Northern Lights). Please see the "Fire and Ice" page for more information.
* "Hamingja" was a Finalist in the Brisbane Art Prize, held at the Judith Wright Centre for Contemporary Art in Fortitude Valley, from 5-28 October.
* Group exhibition MBAC, Redcliffe Arts Centre, February
* Group exhibition "Petite Pieces" Aspire Gallery, Paddington, Qld, February
* Startup Moreton Bay Region course, Cert III in Micro Business Operations, February - June
* Finalist Rotary Art Spectacular, 14 - 19 May
* Finalist Moreton Bay Art Award, 18 - 27 May
* Finalist Stanthorpe Art Prize, 14 June - 21 July
* Finalist Lethbridge 10000 with two pieces accepted, 12 - 22 July
* 'Outside In' exhibition, Holy Spirit Hospital, Chermside (foyer and main corridor) Aug - Jan 2019
* 'Principles of Curating', and 'Exhibition Management' courses, facilitator Nicole Voevodin-Cash, Flying Arts Alliance, 2-3 and 16-17 February
* RASarts Exhibition of Excellence, Redcliffe Art Gallery, 6 April - 1 June
* solo exhibition 'Hands Up' at The Hub Regional Gallery, Caboolture, 7 May - 1 June.
Moreton Bay Regional Council purchases a painting for their Public Art Collection
* Finalist Rotary Art Spectacular, 13 - 17 May
* Finalist Moreton Bay Art Awards, 18 - 26 May
* Samford and Surrounds Art Trail, Ciel Art Studio, Eatons Hill, weekends 1 - 30 June
* Tutor art classes, Ciel Art Studio, Eatons Hill, 29 - 30 June
* Finalist Lethbridge 20000, 27 June - 6 July
* solo exhibition Percolator Gallery, Paddington, Qld, 23 - 28 July
* 'Outside In' exhibition, St Vincent's Private Hospital (Pain Management Centre) Aug - Jan 2020
* The Wonder of Difference - Intercultural Exhibition, Stage Door Gallery, Redcliffe Entertainment Centre, 22 October - 17 November
* Residency in Westfjords, Iceland, researching the effect of fading light and isolation on the psyche, for a future exhibition, 15 November - 26 December
* solo exhibition Old Fire Station, Redcliffe, 22 June - 20 July
Stay tuned for more news!